Medication Management Services are our Specialty
We are dedicated to:
- serving patients in the community by providing education and counseling to maximize the health benefits of medications
- providing community pharmacies with the tools they need to incorporate MTM into workflow
- partnering with physicians to provide Medication Management Services to their patients, helping their patients to live healthier lives and their practices to demonstrate higher quality of care.
What are Medication Management Services?
Medication Management Services (MMS) are "a spectrum of patient-centered, pharmacist-provided, collaborative services that focus on medication appropriateness, effectiveness, safety, and adherence with the goal of improving health outcomes." Because pharmacists are medication experts on the healthcare team, MMS can improve therapeutic outcomes and help patients get the most benefit from their medicines by:
- identifying, preventing, and resolving drug-related problems
- educating patients about their medicines and how to use them
- consulting with prescribers when needed to improve medication use
What do Medication Management Services include?
Comprehensive Medication Review (CMR)
The CMR starts with an interview between the pharmacist and patient that usually lasts between 30-45 minutes. During the interview your pharmacist will:
- Make a complete and accurate list of all the prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and dietary supplements you are taking.
- Review your medical history and evaluate all medications for efficacy, side effects, drug interactions, and duplications.
- Evaluate the need for all of your medications, and work within established medical guidelines to ensure that any gaps in medication therapy are considered.
- Address your questions and/or concerns about your medications and provide education about how your medications work, their possible side effects, and issues you need to be aware of.
- Devise a written plan to resolve medication-related problems identified during the review.
- Provide you with an up-to-date medication list and written plan to address any medication-related problems that were identified.
Targeted Medication Review
A more narrow review than the CMR described above, During a Targeted Medication Review your pharmacist will:
- Make a list of medications being used for a particular health problem of concern to you
- Evaluate each medication for effectiveness, duplication, and adverse effects
- Discuss questions or concerns related to the medications and health problem at issue
- Devise a plan to resolve medication-related problems
One of the goals of Medication Management is to educate and empower individuals to communicate comfortably and effectively with their prescribers. There are times that medication-related problems require prompt and professional attention. When that happens, your BetterMyMeds pharmacist can assist you by contacting your prescriber directly to discuss medication-related concerns and devise a plan to resolve them.
Ongoing Medication and Disease Management
There are situations when more than a comprehensive or targeted review is needed. BetterMyMeds is here to provide ongoing education, support, and follow up when medication-related problems require time to resolve. BetterMyMeds will collaborate with your healthcare team to:
- Provide ongoing monitoring of health concerns, drug effectiveness, and potential adverse drug effects
- Improve adherence to medications to get their maximum benefit
- Provide ongoing education and support regarding medication use
- Work with you to ensure that your medications are personalized
Pharmacogenetic Testing and Counseling
Genetic makeup plays a role in determinine how individuals respond to many medications. Science now allows us to test for the genetic differences that make some people likely to respond to lower (or higher) doses of medicationsk or put them at higher risk of adverse drug effects. Learn more here.
Other Medication Management Services
- Pharmacotherapy consults
- Anticoagulation management
- Health and wellness programs
BetterMyMeds is a Pharmacy practice that specializes in Medication Management Services. It is owned and operated by Betty Chaffee, PharmD, of Dexter, Michigan.
Dr. Chaffee obtained her B.S. in Pharmacy in 1981 from the University of Toledo, and her Pharm.D. from the University of Iowa in 1984. She has been an adjunct faculty member of the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy since 1984, and has practiced in many areas of pharmacy, including general hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy, Homecare, and Medication Management. She has lived in the Dexter and Ann Arbor area since 1987 and is a frequent contributor to the BetterMyMeds Blog.
MEET THE NEWEST CONTRIBUTORS TO THE BETTERMYMEDS BLOG!
Alan Tanabe, PharmD
Alan is an innovative pharmacist who has built a successful practice in Medication Management Services with Meijer Pharmacies. He has been a registered pharmacist in the state of Michigan since 1991. His skill in patient care, including teaching and counseling, have helped many of his patients to achieve better health outcomes.
BetterMyMeds IS PROUD TO PARTNER WITH LOCAL BUSINESSES!
atHome Pharmacy is a full service pharmacy dedicated to providing the personal attention and customized services people need to get the maximum health benefit from their medications. We provide individualized care to assist with medication adherence, synchronization of prescription refills, home delivery, Medication Management Services, and dedicated follow-up procedures.
Our Family Friend
Our Family Friend is an award-winning, independently-owned private duty companion care company. We specialize in tailored and personalized care using the best caregivers in the industry. Our caregivers assist the elderly, disabled, and those recovering from illness or surgery with daily living activities, personal care, errands, meal preparation, companionship, and more. We view our role as an extension of the family and are honored to be trusted with this role, whether your loved one needs assistance for just a few hours or round the clock care.
Choosing between senior care options for a loved one is never an easy decision. For many seniors, living at home for as long as possible is a priority; however, challenges with mobility and health conditions can make that difficult over time. At Comfort Keepers in Dexter, MI, we provide elder care services that can help your loved one remain safe and independent at home.
Galaxy Brain and Therapy Center
The passion and mission at Galaxy Brain and Therapy Center is to bring HOPE and CHANGE for those who have sustained a brain injury. We offer occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech language pathology services, craniosacral therapy, vestibular therapy, mayofascial massage, Bal-A-Vis-X, MNRI, home evaluations, community integration, and social support groups. Our therapy is clinic and community based so that our clients can receive therapy in the setting that best helps each person to achieve his or her maximum functional potential.